NANPA Copyright Advocacy
NANPA fights for the intellectual property rights of nature photographers. Through its Advocacy Committee, NANPA is helping to lead the way on a variety of issues, including the following:
- Passing the CASE Act to establish a copyright small claims process.
- Modernize copyright laws.
- Modernizing the Copyright Office.
- Fighting increasing costs for group registration of photographs.
- Protecting image rights through image metadata.
- Opposing court cases that could establish bad legal precedents.
- Educating its members about copyright related issues, including copyright registration, importance of image metadata, and smart image management practices.
- Providing members with resources for sending a Digital Millennium Takedown Notice to get their infringed works removed from online sources.
NANPA is a member of the Copyright Alliance . This membership is expensive but worth every penny as it gives NANPA a “seat at the table” with copyright industry heavyweights on a wide range of copyright-related issues and initiatives.
Our Copyright Alliance membership has been instrumental in giving NANPA a bigger voice on Capitol Hill on legal issues affecting members, such as passage of the CASE Act and copyright modernization.
Coalition of Visual Artists
NANPA is also an active member of an informal group of photography and graphic artist organizations collectively called the “Coalition of Visual Artists” (the “Coalition”). Coalition members meet once a week by teleconference and once yearly in person to work together on copyright-related issues in particular.
The Coalition often files joint Comments to issues raised by the Copyright Office to help all photographers and artists speak with a larger collective voice. NANPA actively represents the needs of nature photographers within the Coalition.
Tell Us Your Copyright Stories
NANPA collects stories on the experiences and frustrations with any aspect of copyright, including copyright infringements, copyright registration, takedown notices, etc. Please tell us your stories here so we can use them in our advocacy efforts.