NANPA 2014 Board of Directors Candidate
Voting notifications will be sent via e-mail. Check your mailbox for a link to the voting page. You may also get to the voting page by logging in to the Members' Area and clicking the "2014 Board of Directors Voting" link.
1) Give us a brief overview of your job, photographic, educational, volunteer, organizational board/committee skills, etc.
In addition to my nature photography business I started my own construction company which became a multi-million dollar corporation. As the head of the company I managed people, budgets and projects. Running an organization like NANPA is very much like operating a business and requires many of the same skills - common sense, business sense, communication skills, and the ability to work with others.
2) How long have you been an active member of NANPA?
3) What Summits/Forums have you attended?
4) Have you served as a NANPA volunteer or worked on a committee?
5) What particular expertise and/or qualities would you bring to the NANPA Board?
6) NANPA is a young organization experiencing amazing growth. To help bring about a successful passage into maturity, every member of the Board is required to put in considerable time and effort. Will you be able to participate fully and actively? If you are self-employed, can you afford to take time away from your business? If you are an employee, or in some other way connected to an organization, will your job responsibilities allow you the freedom to attend to NANPA business?
“If you want to get something done ask someone who is busy”. This phrase speaks to responsibility and duty, people who are busy, are busy because they take responsibilities seriously. They are committed to their commitments if you will. If I am elected to the board it is a responsibility and a duty that I will take very seriously, I will be fully committed to the needs of the organization.
7) How would you use your abilities to further the NANPA mission: "to provide education, foster professionalism and ethical conduct, gather and disseminate information, and develop standards for all persons interested in the field of nature photography. NANPA further seeks to promote nature photography as an art form and a medium of communication for the sciences, nature appreciation, and environmental protection." Do not address the entire mission, but only those aspects that align with your own know-how, interests, and goals.
One of the opportunities I would like to explore with NANPA would be to help find and develop mutually beneficial partnerships with other groups and organizations. I would like to use my bridge building abilities to explore and create some of these types of partnerships. Additionally, being a newer member I will bring fresh and innovative ideas to the table.
8) How do you envision NANPA's role in the future of nature photography? How would you further that role?
I feel NANPA has positioned itself to be the voice of nature photography. I feel it is imperative that that the organization accurately and efficiently represents the needs and desires of its membership. I would like to see NANPA be an advocate for nature photographers and their rights, as well as explore more ways to be a steward for the natural world we all love.
9) Why do you want to serve on the NANPA Board of Directors? If elected, what would you personally like to accomplish during your term on the NANPA Board?
Nature photography has given me a lifestyle and experiences that most people can only dream of. I want to give back to that which has given me so much.
In the past decade digital technology has made nature photography more accessible to a much larger audience. If elected to the board one of my goals would be to increase membership. More members gives NANPA a larger voice, more resources, and a greater ability to accomplish the organizations goals.