Celebrating 14 Years of Discovery!
About Nature Photography Day
Since its beginning, enthusiasm for Nature Photography Day continues to grow worldwide. Each year, June 15 is designated by the North America Nature Photography Association (NANPA) to promote the enjoyment of nature photography, and to explain how images are used to advance the cause of conservation and protect plants, wildlife, and landscapes locally and worldwide.
In 2006, NANPA celebrated the first Nature Photography Day and placed it in McGraw-Hill’s (now Rowman & Littlefield) reference work, Chase’s Calendar of Events. Many media and websites took notice. Since then, people throughout the North American continent, and overseas too, have discovered numerous ways to observe and enjoy the day.
NANPA encourages people everywhere to enjoy the day by using a camera to explore the natural world. A backyard, park, or other place close by can be just right. Walking, hiking, and riding a bike to take photos are activities that don’t lead to a carbon footprint. And fresh air can do wonders for the spirit!
Help Promote Nature Photography Day
Nature Photography Day is promoted through local and national media, businesses, photography clubs, and word of mouth by sharing these audio and PDF materials. As in previous years, public service announcements (PSAs) have been recorded for download and release to radio stations and websites. We also encourage business owners, camera stores, and other organizations to post a flyer announcing Nature Photography Day; download yours below.
|30-second PSA (Download MP3 file)
|60-second PSA (Download MP3 file)
NANPA invites everyone to take photos of our natural world, then enter our Facebook contest for a chance to win great prizes. More information coming soon!
See where your photography takes you!
- Learn even more about the natural history of your environment: plants, wildlife, and land.
- Encourage creativity among your kids, grandkids, and other young photographers. Show them how to photograph flowers, birds, and more.
- Use your photos to tell important stories about nature. Find something that detracts from the natural world, showing images about how human beings sometimes adversely affect the environment.
- If you teach, ask your students to read about the experiences of nature photographers — legends of the past and today.
- Photo club members: Remind your colleagues about Nature Photography Day and how images have been used to protect the natural world. If you have a website or blog, spread the news there too.
- Even before June 15, get inspired by reading about the work of naturalists as well as pioneers in nature photography.
- Pick something that you’ve never photographed before, and make plans to photograph that subject or scene every June 15.
- Take your kids and grandkids on a nature trek, and show them how to photograph trees, flowers, birds, and more. Then print some of their photos and present them, in a mat or frame, to those young photographers.
- Finally, ask yourself how your images can help to bring positive changes to your world.
How will you celebrate Nature Photography Day? Let us know: email@example.com.
#NaturePhotoDay on Social Media
- Official Facebook page for Nature Photography Day
- The NANPA Nature Photography Facebook Group is focused solely on nature photography, including but not limited to wildlife, landscape, underwater, macro, weather, and night sky images.
- Enjoy an amazing collection of nature photography images curated by our members: Follow #nanpapix on Instagram.
- Spread the word: Post your own nature pics using the hashtag #NaturePhotoDay!
Attend a Nature Photography Workshop or Tour
More than 200 nature photography workshops and tours are listed on the NANPA Events page throughout the year. Look for an opportunity in your area or make plans for a great getaway.
Subscribe to our Nature Photography Blog
Sign up for NANPA’s Blog to get nature photography information, resources, and news delivered to your email for free.
Read Nature Photography Articles
Learn more about nature photography from other nature photographers in NANPA News
View Winning Images
What makes an award-winning image? View the gallery of winners from the 2019 NANPA Showcase Photo contest.
Enjoy a Nature Photography Video
Why do we love nature photography? This 2-minute video captures the true passion of nature photography.
Connecting the Photography Community