Only NANPA members may enter the annual Showcase. Please make sure that you renew your membership, if you have not already, or you may not be able to enter. Renewals take place during normal office hours, so do not wait until the last minute to renew. The entry fee is $10 per image or enter 6 images for $50. There is no limit to the number of images a photographer may enter. All images will be judged and $5,000 in prize money will be awarded.
To enter your photos, login to the Members’ Area and click “Enter NANPA Showcase Entries.“
- Mammals — Includes all mammals, land and sea
- Birds — Includes all birds
- Scapes — Includes landscape, plantscape, seascape, atmosphere, weather, etc.
- Macro, Micro, and All Other Wildlife — Includes images of non-bird, non-mammal wildlife as well as close-ups of any subject. Close ups are intimate views, tightly framed, or close examinations of subjects in nature.
- Altered Reality — The image must obviously display a change in natural color, form, shape, or any combination of these. It must be enhanced or transformed beyond the way the subject appears in nature.
NANPA Showcase 2019 Prize packages
(winners may opt-out of any part of the prize packages)
Next year’s Prize Packages are being developed now. Stay tuned for details as they are announced…
Winners and runners-up give permission to use their images in future NANPA promotions and publications, but they may opt out by checking off an opt-out box when they enter the competition.
Tips on selecting and preparing your images may be reviewed on our Showcase Tips page.
Please see the Showcase Q&A page for questions and answers about the Showcase.
- Submit entries through the Members’ Area on the NANPA website between June 1 and September 17 (11:00pm, (Eastern Time) 2018.
- Submissions must be finalized before the closing time, meaning – you should allow plenty of time for your uploads to be processed. Last minute entries may not make it in. Special Note: – If you have not renewed your membership yet, do so well before the submission deadline to avoid delays and exclusion from the contest.
- The entry fee is $10 per image or 6 images for $50 and can be paid by credit card on the website or by mailing a check to NANPA. Images must be submitted and paid in groups of 6 to get the special rate (6 for $50, 12 for $100, etc.) There is no limit to the number of images a NANPA photographer may enter. Make checks payable to NANPA.
- Each image must be entirely the work of the NANPA member submitting the image. Entrants under 18 years of age must also submit a release from a parent or guardian. Use this Parental Consent Form. Note to Joint Members: Each member in a Joint Membership has an individual login account for NANPA’s website. You MUST login using your personal account to submit your images. Images are credited (and prizes are awarded) to the account submitting the images. NANPA is not responsible for incorrect attribution when photos are submitted under the wrong account.
- All judging will be done anonymously via the NANPA website. Entries will be judged on creativity, originality and photographic skill. The quality of the image file is critical, so be careful when using Photoshop or other enhancing tools. Many otherwise outstanding images are scored down because they are over saturated, over sharpened, off-color, or excessively manipulated.
- No names, watermarks, text, logos, borders or other identifying marks may appear on your images. Images with such marks will be disqualified without refund. Likewise no photographer names or identifying terms may appear in the text fields, such as Subject or Location.
- Photographs of animals in the wild are favored over those in controlled conditions. Images of game farm animals are not accepted. Game farms are defined as private for-profit operations whose primary income is generated from hiring out captive animals for photography, videography and filmmaking. Wild species of flora and fauna are preferred over domestic plants and animals. Entries must indicate “captive” and “photo illustration,” if applicable. See NANPA’s Guidelines for Truth in Captioning for further details. Entries that do not accurately reflect the subject matter and scene as it appeared when captured with the camera must be designated as Photo Illustration. Use of live bait to attract or control subjects is not allowed.
- Images appropriate for Showcase entries include nature subjects, people in nature and indigenous people. Other elements are acceptable, but these must be the primary subjects.
- Images submitted in previous Showcase competitions may be entered as long as they were not selected for the Showcase or journal (Top 250). Judging is subjective, so it is possible this year’s judges may score images differently.
- NANPA may ask for additional information regarding images or circumstances of creating images before finalizing the results. The RAW or original file, or original slide or negative may be required for examination before finalizing an award. If requested, the source image and information must be provided within one week of notification or the contending image may be disqualified.
- Submission is not a guarantee of selection. All submitters will be notified of the reviewers’ decisions by November 1st, whether or not their images are selected.
- Images must be in JPEG format, RGB or Grayscale mode, 104ppi, without watermarks, text, logos or other identifying marks. Color space should be sRGB. We cannot accept slides or prints.
- Image file size may not be greater than 800KB (819,200 bytes), so adjust your “quality” setting when saving as JPEG while preparing the images for submission. The longer side of your image must be exactly 1024 pixels. The shorter side may be any size up to and including 1024 pixels. Any image submitted that is larger than 1024 pixels will be automatically resized and you will be notified if this occurs.
- On the entry page, you will be required to check one or more image attributes and an image category to be used by the NANPA website search engine if your image is selected for the Top 250.
- By entering the contest, each entrant accepts the rules as stated and guarantees that all the information provided is correct and truthful. Entries not accurately represented or not abiding by contest rules will be disqualified. Refunds will not be given in case of disqualification. It is the entrant’s responsibility to provide correct information including an accurate email address for notification. NANPA is not responsible for emails that are not received.
- NANPA assumes no responsibility for submissions. Winning entrants agree that NANPA has the right to use their photographs, without compensation, in Showcase 2019 on the NANPA website as well as in the journal Expressions. NANPA may also use the images for promoting future Showcases, journals, and competitions. The photographer also grants permission to NANPA to use the image(s) in other publications and promotions, unless he/she checks off the appropriate box on the online entry form.
- NANPA cannot provide technical assistance to help members prepare their images for submission. Not only does this represent a conflict of interest, but we are not familiar with all possible software that members might be using. If you are having problems, be sure to see our “Image Preparation Tips.”
- Pay via credit card online or make checks payable to NANPA. Mail checks to:
Attn: 2019 Showcase
6382 Charleston Road
Alma, IL 62807
Sorry, but we cannot accept payment over the telephone.
- Proper credit will be attributed to images published on the website, in Expressions, or in promotional uses.
- All NANPA members will have access to the Expressions online flipbook. Additional printed copies are available for a fee via a link from the NANPA website.
To enter your photos, login to the Members’ Area and click “Annual NANPA Showcase Competition.“
For further information about Showcase 2019, contact the Showcase coordinator: email@example.com