Only NANPA members may enter the annual Showcase competition. Please make sure that you renew your membership, if you have not already, or you may not be able to enter. Renewals take place during normal office hours, so do not wait until the last minute to renew. The entry fee is $10 per image or enter 6 images for $50. There is no limit to the number of images a photographer may enter. All images will be judged and $6,000 in prize money will be awarded.
The entry period opens August 1, 2021 and closes at 11 pm EDT on September 20, 2021.
Showcase Submission Rules
- Submit entries through the Members’ Area of the NANPA website between August 1, 2021 and September 20, 2021 at 11:00pm EDT.
- Submissions must be finalized before the closing time, meaning you should allow plenty of time for your uploads to be processed. Last minute entries may not make it in. Special Note: If your NANPA membership is not active or expires during the Showcase competition period, renew well before the submission deadline to avoid delays and exclusion from the contest.
- The entry fee is $10 per image or 6 images for $50 and can be paid by credit card on the website or by mailing a check to NANPA. Images must be submitted and paid in groups of 6 to get the special rate (6 for $50, 12 for $100, etc.). There is no limit to the number of images a NANPA photographer may enter.
- Each image must be entirely the work of the NANPA member submitting the image. Entrants under 18 years of age must also submit a release from a parent or guardian. Use this Parental Consent Form. Note to Joint NANPA Members: Each member in a Joint Membership must have an individual login account for NANPA’s website and must login using his/her own personal account to submit entries. Images are credited (and prizes are awarded) to the account submitting the images. NANPA is not responsible for incorrect attribution when photos are submitted under the wrong account.
- All judging will be done anonymously via the NANPA website. Entries will be judged on impact, originality and photographic skill. The quality of the image file is critical, so be careful when using Photoshop or other enhancing tools. Many otherwise outstanding images are scored down because they are over-saturated, over-sharpened, off-color or excessively manipulated.
- No names, watermarks, text, logos, borders or other differentiating marks may appear on your images. Images with such marks will be disqualified without refund. Likewise, no photographer names or identifying terms may appear in the “Subject”, “Location”, or “Comments” fields on the entry application.
- Photographs of animals in the wild are favored over those in controlled conditions. Images of game farm animals are not accepted. Game farms are defined as private for-profit operations whose primary income is generated from hiring out captive animals for photography, videography and filmmaking. Use of live bait to attract or control subjects is not allowed. Wild species of flora and fauna are preferred over domestic plants and animals. Entries must indicate “captive,” if applicable. See NANPA’s Captioning Guidelines for further details.
- Images should represent truthful behavior and natural events. Follow NANPA’s principles of ethical field practices.
- No elements may be added to an image except in the Altered Reality category.
- Entries not accurately reflecting the subject matter and scene as it appeared when captured with the camera must be designated as photo illustration. Photo illustration is not allowed in the conservation category.
- Images appropriate for Showcase entries must include nature subjects. People in nature, indigenous people and hand of man are acceptable, but nature must be the primary point of interest.
- Images submitted in previous Showcase competitions may be entered as long as they were not selected for the Showcase or journal (Top 250). Judging is subjective, so it is possible this year’s judges may score images differently.
- NANPA may ask for additional information regarding images or circumstances of creating images before finalizing the results. RAW or original files or original slides or negatives may be required for examination before finalizing an award. If requested, the source image and information must be provided within one week of notification or the contending image may be demoted or disqualified.
- Submission is not a guarantee of selection. All entrants will be notified of the reviewers’ decisions by November 1st, whether or not their images are selected.
- Images must be in JPEG format, 72ppi, RGB or Grayscale mode, without watermarks, text, logos, borders or other identifying marks. Color space should be sRGB. We cannot accept slides or prints.
- Image file size must be between 400KB and 1MB, so adjust your “quality” setting as needed when saving as JPEG while preparing the images for submission. The longer side of your image must be exactly 1280 pixels. The shorter side may be any size up to and including 1280 pixels. Any image submitted larger than 1280 pixels will be automatically resized and you will be notified if this occurs.
- There is no naming convention for the files you upload. Use whatever filename you’d like. Images are stored with a numeric index number so judging can remain anonymous. The original file name is stored for winner notification about the specific image that was submitted.
- On the entry page, you will be required to check one or more image attributes and an image category to be used by the NANPA website search engine if your image is selected for the Top 250.
- By entering the contest, each applicant accepts the rules as stated and guarantees that all the information provided is correct and truthful and the capture of images complied with local, state, federal and FAA regulations related to photography. Entries not accurately represented or not abiding by contest rules will be disqualified. Refunds will not be given in case of disqualification. It is the entrant’s responsibility to provide accurate information including a correct email address for notification. NANPA is not responsible for emails that are not received.
- NANPA assumes no responsibility for submissions. Winning entrants agree that NANPA has the right to use their photographs, without compensation, in Showcase 2022 on the NANPA website as well as in the journal Expressions. NANPA may also use the images for promoting future Showcases, journals and competitions. The photographer also grants permission to NANPA to use the image(s) in other publications and promotions, unless he/she checks off the appropriate box on the online entry form.
- NANPA cannot provide technical assistance to help members prepare their images for submission. Not only does this represent a conflict of interest, but we are not familiar with all possible software that members might be using. If you are having problems, be sure to see our Image Preparation Tips.
- Pay via credit card online. Sorry, but we cannot accept payment over the telephone.
- Proper credit will be attributed to images published on the website, in Expressions or in promotional uses.
- All NANPA members will have access to the electronic (PDF) version of Expressions.
For further information about Showcase, contact the Showcase Coordinator at email@example.com.
Get more tips and contest insights—that apply to NANPA’s Showcase as well as other photo competitions—in our free handbook, Contest Secrets: What to know before you enter a photo.