NANPA - Nature Photography Forums

NANPA - Nature Photography Forums (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New to NANPA and new to photography (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107)

peppe59632 09-14-2009 01:01 PM

New to NANPA and new to photography

I was introduced to NANPA by Kathy Adams Clark during one of her classes at the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center. NANPA appears to be a wonderful organization for learning and sharing. I'm excited about attending the summit in Reno next year.

Last year I became increasingly passionate and obsessive about photography. It began after a trip to Cairo when I used my first digital point and shoot camera. I have upgraded to a beginner camera-Canon EOS rebel Xsi and have bought several lenses. Even though I have always loved nature and the out of doors, I've never really paid attention to the detail. Macro, in particular, has connected me in a profound way.

In looking at the topic threads, I notice that not too many folks post. Is the critique area really useful for feedback from more than one or two people? The critique class I took with Kathy Adams Clark is one of the most useful I've had. I was hoping to post various photos on this site to get blunt, honest feedback to help me improve.

Looking forward to meeting and interacting with NANPA members.
Carolyn Pepper
Houston, TX

keithsnell 09-15-2009 09:12 AM

Welcome!

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome to NANPA. It is true that not too many folks post...yet. Communities like this need to reach a certain "critical mass" before they become the sort of dynamic, engaging community that you were hoping for. It takes a lot of hard work by a few people to keep the occasional visitors coming back until the active membership reaches that critical mass.

I haven't participated in the critique area, but perhaps I should wander over there and see what I can contribute.

Your statement that [macro] photography has "connected me in a profound way" really hits home with me. I love nature photography because of the way that it helps me reconnect with something that is vital to us all.

I hope you continue to visit the forums and post. Your participation will help us reach that "critical mass."

Keith
www.SpiritofPhotography.com

peppe59632 09-16-2009 02:45 PM

Welcome message

Keith, Thanks so much for the welcome message. Very soon I hope to learn my way around this website and the spiritofphotography site. By the way, I accidentally deleted the anole with dewlap photo and all the comments along with it on the spiritofphotography site. Is all that still on the server, by chance? I wanted to print out your selective sharpening process to give it a try.

Carolyn (Firewheel)

susanday 09-19-2009 05:11 PM

Hello Carolyn,

Welcome to NANPA! Our Forums are relatively new and people aren't used to visiting them yet. I've been a NANPA member since the beginning and it has helped my photography, my business (Daybreak Imagery) and I've made many wonderful friends through the years. I find that the more I'm involved with something, the more I "get" out of it. If there's a committee or project that you'd like to help with--just contact our HQ, a board member, or me and we'll find a spot for you.

I'm glad you'll be attending the Reno Summit. That's a great way to meet people and find out what we're all about.

Happy Shooting!
Susan Day
President-Elect, NANPA

keithsnell 09-20-2009 08:01 AM

Selective Sharpening

Hi Carolyn,

Sorry about the slow response. I've been away from the computer for a few days. I'm sorry, but that copy of the anole image is no longer on ther server.

I will try to post a short tutorial within the next week or so that provides more detail on selective sharpening. The method I use is with layers and masks, which requires the "full" version of Photoshop, since Elements doesn't allow the full use of layer masks.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your images.

Keith
www.SpiritofPhotography.com

peppe59632 09-20-2009 02:47 PM

Thanks for the note. I'll be watching for your selective sharpening advice. I will have photoshop CS4 for MAC. A family member is a teacher and has agreed to buy it for me.
Whoopee! BIG discount!

Another topic I would like help with is the proper way to clean the camera and lenses. Maybe you would have time to do a blurb on that subject too. I'm finding that my shutter release button is slightly sticky. I'm wondering if it's the sand that I'm sure got into everything when I was at Pfeiffer Beach on California Central Coast. The wind all of a sudden started blowing like a hurricane and sand flew everywhere. I didn't have any protection for my camera or lens. I tried to protect them as much as possible but the sand was blowing too hard to do a good job. I notices the stickiness yesterday when I was practicing with my new tripod. I had to press the shutter too hard to get it to fire and pictures came out with a slight blur.

Carolyn

peppe59632 09-20-2009 02:56 PM

Susan,

Thanks for the welcome note! I'm looking forward to Reno and being surrounded by professional photographers. I know I'm going to learn a lot, and I definitely have a lot to learn!!! Have started a beginning class to work on getting the basics under my belt. I got a little over confident after winning a couple of things thinking I knew what I was doing. HA!! I realize I don't know what I'm doing at all!!

I will check out the website to have a look at projects, etc. Will probably get a better feel for what may suit me after talking with Kathy Adams Clark on our upcoming Nov. trip to Costa Rica for 10 days.

Carolyn