NANPA - Nature Photography Forums

NANPA - Nature Photography Forums (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   travel (http://www.nanpa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145)

dlober 12-30-2009 10:21 AM

travel

Does anybody have any in-site or suggestions for traveling with camera equipment, with what just happened - are we expecting radical changes?

dougotto 01-06-2010 11:11 AM

I haven't seen any posted changes regarding the handling of photographic gear. What I have learned, first hand, is that it doesn't matter what the written policy is. Any TSA agent can deny a piece of gear at his or her discretion; regardless of whether it is specifically allowed.

My suggestion is that you continue to operate as you have. Patience and attitude goes a long way with these folks.

Cheers

jejans 01-11-2010 11:35 AM

I wonder if I might expand the question a bit. I'm in Canada and have plans to visit New Mexico in February. Under the current (but supposedly temporary) rules, I am not allowed to take any baggage on board for flights bound for the USA. I am allowed to carry my camera, but not my camera bag, which means lenses, etc have to be checked. Under these circumstances, how would you pack your equipment? Thanks,

Jim

Giverny12 01-11-2010 11:28 PM

Packing suggestion

Jim,
Could you wear a camera vest with lenses, filters, flash and small reflectors in the vest's pockets?
Some travelers wear a vest with their sport coat or winter coat. Why not a camera vest?

Your tripod could be inside your checked luggage.

If the camera vest is not feasible then I'd look into shipping the camera equipment you plan to use to the address you'll be using in New Mexico.

If you decide to check your camera equipment, a hard-shell, waterproof case will probably provide more protection from rough baggage-handler and conveyer-belt handling than a soft-sided case/backpack.

Hope this helps.
John

GZumwalt 01-12-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jejans (Post 414)
I wonder if I might expand the question a bit. I'm in Canada and have plans to visit New Mexico in February. Under the current (but supposedly temporary) rules, I am not allowed to take any baggage on board for flights bound for the USA. Thanks,

Jim

Depending on how close you live to the border, it might be easier to drive across and fly from with in the US.

Glenn

dougotto 01-12-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig57818 (Post 423)
If you decide to check your camera equipment, a hard-shell, waterproof case will probably provide more protection from rough baggage-handler and conveyer-belt handling than a soft-sided case/backpack.

I once read an article by a guy who had been doing that for years. In addition to the camera gear, he carried a starters pistol. Even though it can't fire a slug, it's considered a firearm and must be declared. After it's inspected you're required to lock the bag. I'm not sure of the legalities of that in Canada but it might be worth looking at.

jejans 01-15-2010 07:15 AM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Interesting times, unfortunately!

Jim