North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM
NANPA Member

Default Photo workshops and tours

I am considering starting tours for wildlife photography. I have lots of experience shooting wildlife and know lots of good locations.
Is there any advice out there on getting started?

Gus Curtis
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Photo Adventurer

Default Workshops and Tours

The best advice I can give you is to attend workshops and tours by several different photographers and see what parts of them you like and do not like. Use this as a guide.

Being a good photographer is a step toward being a good workshop or photo tour leader, but it's definitely not the whole picture - just one of many steps. If you haven't taught before, I would recommend starting small - perhaps lecturing at camera clubs, or to local groups. Build from there.

Remember that for a week long photo tour or workshop you'll need to plan every detail from where meals will be held, to making reservation, booking rooms in advance, making certain every detail is as it should be. There is also a fair amount of customer service that goes along with being a tour / workshop leader. This not only happens during the time you are photographing, but often you get questions before and after. The more workshops you do, the more happy participants you have, the more questions you get - I typically spend about 1/3 of my total time in any given year answering questions, marketing workshops and tours, and developing new relationships for future tours.

It is a very time intensive activity, but an enjoyable one at that. My suggestion would be to attend some well presented tours / workshops first, and keep track of what you think works, and what doesn't.

Best

Raymond Klass
Raymond Klass Photography
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
NANPA Member

Default Advice

Good advice I read here. Go to workshops. You can learn from the bad ones as well as the good ones. I'm a community college professor and if I might say so myself, which I will, I'm a pretty good instructor. Now I'm working on the technical end of photography to build my skill set.

Take care of the details. Be organized! My gosh, I went to a few nationally known "tours" and the photographer was incredibly disorganized. ALSO, good grief, folks... give people something. Even PowerPoint slides three to a page is better than nothing. Have materials on a website. Give people some value. Give them a chance to practice what you are teaching. Then give feedback. AND, come on, have some sponsors and giveaways. That's just a start.

I have the teaching down... I just need more skills as a photographer, which is a lifetime pursuit.

Jim Patterson
http://JamesGordonPatterson.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by curti49537 View Post
I am considering starting tours for wildlife photography. I have lots of experience shooting wildlife and know lots of good locations.
Is there any advice out there on getting started?

Gus Curtis
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
NANPA Member

Default On the East Coast

Folks,

If you are on the east like me, I recommend Niagara Falls in Canada, Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, and both the Maryland and Virginia Great Falls.

Michael