North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Gavin Slabbert

Send a message via Skype™ to GavinSlabbert
Default Intro: Gavin Slabbert

Greetings, my name is Gavin Slabbert, below is a little about me and my business, I live in St Augustine FL these days and spend my life on a darned plane flighing back and forth to Southern Africa where I lead Safaris and photography workshops.

I am pretty much a jack of all trades, well used to be and my checkered past consists of being a computer engineer for over 30 years, as well as a professional golfer on the minor tours, (now THAT was really successful , a motorcycle racer, a dog handler and breeder, a fisherman and an entrepreneur, I finally returned to my passion of photography in 2007. One day I will grow up and try my hand at a real job ...

I am married and have been for what seems like many lifetimes at times, however I would not trade what I have for anything, I have 2 swine (I call them that as all they do is eat and mess) and I have 2 grand swine, man it ticks the wife off when I call them that.

So my daughter is married to a soldier and has 2 kids, they are currently stationed in Olympia WA and have recently received orders to transfer to Germany, so I see many more flights to Europe in my future. My son is in the Air Force and is stationed in Anchorage Alaska, and I don't get to see him much as my wife hates the cold.

I am an ex South African and am from a little place called Port Elizabeth and am now a US citizen, and when I was forced into retirement by the economy in 2005 I turned my hobby of photography into a profession and opened a small Photography company called Images in Africa and I lead safaris and photography workshops to South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. Typically I fly back there with groups 3 times a year (more flying).

So that in a nutshell me, and I look forward to making new friends and partaking in the feastivities of this group.

Gavin Slabbert
http://imagesinafrica.com
Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM
NANPA Member

I'm sorry no one welcomed you to NANPA until now. I enjoyed reading about you and your business. I must add one of your tours to my bucket list. I am starting a photography tour business but much closer to home, home being Lake Livingston, TX. I take small groups to places I like to shoot and teach new photographers how to use their equipment and get good images. Thanks again for joining and feel free to message me anytime.
Gary Truchelut
Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 PM
NANPA Member

Default Hello

Nice to "meet" you, Gavin. Thanks for sharing the link to your safari site. I've bookmarked for the future. Best to you and yours!