North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
NANPA Member

Default Focus

Anyone used the LensAlign focus calibration system from Rawworkflow.com yet?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
NANPA Member

I've been looking at that as well. It seems like a pretty handy tool if you've got a body that will allow you to correct for it.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Bowle61374

Default Lens Align

I've got the Lens Align Lite system. It's quite good and removes the major causes of testing error. It uses a mirror to make sure you are properly aligned with the target. The AF target is good and meets Nikon specs. And it has an angled scale so you can focus on the target and inspect the scale to understand any focus error.

The AF adjustment and Lens Align system is best for longer prime lenses. With zooms you need to picka single focal length. Most zooms and shorter lenses don't need a focus adjustment. 99% of reported focus errors are most likely testing errors rather than focus errors. And the other thing to keep in mind is that both camera and lens can be off - so a focus error may be the camera, the lens, or the combination of the two.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
NANPA Member

Default Calibrates your eyes, too.

I bought the lite version. The biggest surprise for me was that I got new contacts some time back, and didn't even think about the fact that I had the eyepiece diopter set for my old contacts. I thought that my AF system was out of whack!

As far as lenses, my 12-24, 50 f/1.8 , 105 macro and 70-200 f/2.8 were all spot on. My 24-70 f/2.8 is so far off that I've tuned the AF for that to the max. There is some question as to whether Nikon will consider a body/lens combo to be in spec even though the lensalign shows error. It's close enough for me the way it is.

Keep in mind that once you do the calibration(s) the lensalign will have a home on your closet's top shelf until you get a new body or lens. I'd try to borrow one or get a group together to chip in on the cost.