North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM
NANPA Member

Default Studio Considerations

I'm about to construct a new studio-a dream come true. I was wondering if anyone might have some advice as to "must have" inclusions. The windows and doors are all going to be north facing with two sky lights. Also, there will be plenty of storage space and ten feet walls for "showing off" work. Those that have working studios, please let me know what you love about your space and what you would do differently if you were to rebuild. Thanks, Ellie
Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Photo Adventurer

Default Studio Space

Hi

I'm not sure what to suggest, as I need some more information about what you intend to shoot in the studio. It this for advertising work - big or small, will you be shooting food or lifestyle images?

I don't own a studio, but I've worked in many other's for years doing advertising work. The objects you'll be shooting really determines the equipment / space requirements. I tend not to use natural light, though it can be convenient to have North facing windows - the skylights, I would just make sure that you have a way to block them with shades.

I would also consider a suspended flash system with such high ceilings - it really gets a lot of the wires off the floors.

Raymond Klass

Raymond Klass Photography