North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
NANPA Member

Default Photo Ops near Reno

As we get ready to travel in February for the Summit, what are some of your favorite places to shoot within 1-2 hours of Reno?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Photo Adventurer

Default Photo Ops Near Reno

Hi Everyone,

I'm the Program Chair for the High School Scholarship Committee, and we once again looking for places to take our 10 high school scholarship students before the Reno Conference. So, if you have any suggestions, please share.

Thus far I've heard of some great opportunities, though I'm always open to hear about more from the rest of you.

What I've heard about so far:

Lake Tahoe - I haven't actually been there, so if anyone has some specifics, please let me know.

Bodie Ghost Town - this is an amazing place, I was there last summer, and the old textures / architecture is just fantastic. This is a bit of a drive however - a couple hours - maybe 3?

Mono Lake / Lee Vining Ca. - If you go to Bodie Ghost Town, I would suggest spending a day in Lee Vining to photograph the wonderful Tufa's of Mono Lake - it's just a half hour or so from the ghost town. There's also an amazing gas station - called Tioga Toumi's - they have the best fish Taco's you've ever had. No, these aren't taco that are rotating around in one of those register side cookers, they're from a real restaurant inside the station.

Best of Luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
NANPA Member

Default Bodie

The 10 mile dirt road to Bodie is not plowed in the winter. So, if there is any snow, you cannot get there.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
NANPA Member

Fly geyser would be a great excursion if you can make the connection with the people who are in contact with the owners. The geyser is on private property and not natural, however the colors of the algi colonies are amazing! It is northeast of Gerlach. The Blackrock Desert is the site of the Burning Man Gathering that is held each year. A stop off at Pyramid Lake provides a nice break for the drive.

HTML Code:
http://www.blackrockfriends.org/friends/area_information/fly_geyser
I highly recommend Bodie State Historic Park, if you can get there!