North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
NANPA Member

Default HD Video New Cams

Anyone else watching the buzz about the new Canon camcorders coming down the line? Could be very exciting, they've already announced a 50MBs 4:2:2 codec, that's the only detail they've announced thus far.

Hopefully, this year I'll be able to pick up a dedicated camcorder; based on current knowledge, this will probably be the one.

I'm very excited about adding HD and various skills I'm learning with Adobe Production Premium to the services/products I can offer in what is becoming a visual media business rather than specifically photography. Still photography will always be the heart of what I do though.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Photo Adventurer

Default New Canon Cams

I've not heard about the new Canon video cameras yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for them when they're fully announced. I think there will be a lot of competition in the next couple years as more and more photographers go the route of incorporating video into their offerings. It will be an exciting time for all of us.

I'm happy with the quality of my Canon camera so far, though I would have love to move up from HDV to XDCAM at some point in the future. I finally put together a short intro for the documentary I'm working on. It's not by any means finished, but if you get a chance to take a look I'd appreciate any feedback. http://www.vimeo.com/8542516 The website referred to in the movie isn't finished yet - another project coming along in the next couple weeks.

Ray

Raymond Klass Photography
Old 02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
NANPA Member

I really dug your trailer. The dissolves into the loon singing and the mergansers in the fog were breathtaking. Your editing style is precisely what I was shooting for in my first short film. For a first try, I did pretty good I think, I'll point it out when it's actually available for viewing which should be soon.

Which brings up Vimeo, does it do a good job marketing video for you?

The Canon cameras might be announced officially tomorrow. There is a press event in London. The invitations said something about "at the movies with Canon." So with the prototype making some showings around, mysterious style where Canon basically says that's what it looks like, but we're not going to tell you any features; and the codec being announced, I'm hopeful that tomorrow's event will announce them. It would be nice if there would be one to check out in Reno, but I doubt the timing will work out correctly. I'd definitely need to make arrangements to get out of the review room for a few minutes to go check it out.