North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Photo Adventurer

Question Photoshelter, worth it?

Just wondering what people think of Photoshelter?

I have an account - My Photoshelter Account, and am thinking about next year - so far I haven't had much business there. I have 3 stock agents, and actively market my work, and thought that Photoshelter would be a way to sell some images directly - without giving away 50% of the sale, but so far I don't think it's paid for its self.

I have a traditional website, www.klassphoto.com, so I have a place to put my images / announcements etc., but I currently don't offer online sale, as a merchant account is very expensive.

I was wondering if people are using photoshelter, and what everyone's thoughts on the topic are.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 AM
NANPA Member

I recently started using it and have my account fully integrated with my normal site, www.moosephoto.com. I really like how it works for ease of adding images and many other attributes like that. I too have sold nothing over it so far, but perhaps three weeks time is too early to be fair.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
NANPA Member

Default Is PhotoShelter Worth It?

I am glad to see some members talking about PhotoShelter as I'm considering signing up for it. I love the feature which allows editors to buy stock directly using Fotoquote which I use already. I have gone through some of the tutorials and they have great info for helping you get set up and so many features! Now whether is sells work or not, I don't know. They are supposed to have good marketing to the site...

I saw that Art Wolfe's site has a link with PhotoShelter (running his stock sales as mentioned above) AND Livebooks where I believe his website was created. There were other big names using PhotoShelter. I wonder if one of them or their stock photo staff would reply to how they feel about PhotoShelter and whether it was worth it or not...

Anyone else out there having luck selling on PhotoShelter?

Lynda
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Photo Adventurer

Default Photoshelter

Yes, I saw that Art Wolfe and others are on Photoshelter. The only caveat here is that Art Wolfe doesn't need Photoshelter's name to sell his images - I would imagine that he can attract a fair amount of buyers all on his own. Photoshelter may work for him, in that it simplifies delivery and pricing of online images, but I need to Photoshelter to attract buyers - I don't have the archive that Art Wolfe does, so I'm not able to tell publications I have diverse enough coverage to be my own stock agency.

I would agree that Photoshelter's setup and gallery creation is easy for those who don't have much experience creating websites - and certainly no programming knowledge is necessary. I think it works best as a portfolio site - and if you have a core group of editors that frequent your work, then you might be able to make things more convenient for them by providing online sales - with direct delivery. I haven't seen any new people browsing in Photoshelter - my hope, and maybe this was unrealistic, was that Photoshelter would be a place where new clients would find my work.

Raymond Klass
Raymond Klass Nature Photography
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
NANPA Member

Rick, you wrote in July that nothing was happening yet with Photo Shelter. You did a great job integrating your site with Photo Shelter. Any traffic or buyers?

Kathy
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
NANPA Member

Default Photoshelter Success

I get a decent amount of traffic on my PhotoShelter site and it's pretty easy to tell what kind of traffic you're getting. While on the trip I was just for the summit and the shooting I did afterward my PhotoShelter site was involved in a sale. My name was given to a travel magazine by the local wildlife refuge in connection with a butterfly photo they needed for a story about the refuge. (Critically endangered butterfly, largest population is on this refuge.) They contacted me, I sent them the link to the appropriate gallery on my PhotoShelter site, and they recontacted me to seal the deal. They didn't buy through the PhotoShelter e-commerce, but...