North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM
NANPA Member

Default Texas locations

Hi all, I'm going to Texas mid-October and am looking for shooting locations. I'll be using my 7D to shoot both stills and video. My work is primarily landscape and nature but I'll also be doing some cityscapes (like the Dallas skyline and San Antonio Riverwalk). I'd appreciate feedback on what sights would be good to shoot and the best location and time of day to shoot them. I'm planning on driving around the entire state. Thanks very much! - Ken
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
NANPA Member

Yikes! The entire state. You do realize how big Texas is? How long do you have and what are your primary interests? Landscape and nature are pretty broad, combined with a huge state you have your work cut out for you.

My favorite landscapes are in Big Bend. South Texas is tops for birds. I spent yesterday with a client on a south Texas ranch photographing birds. The coast has it's own birds.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
NANPA Member

Default Texas

Hi Jeff. I'm planning on 3 weeks (maybe a little more or less) to drive around the state. I only need video for a 60 minute project and am planning on getting at least one good video clip from each of the different regions with a few extra from the major cities. I think it's possible in that time frame. I'll also be shooting stills for fine art and time lapse for personal projects. Big Bend and birds were already on my list. Thanks - Ken
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
NANPA Member

A couple of other spots to check out if you are doing all the regions: Caddo Lake in northeast Texas and Palo Duro Canyon in the panhandle.

I don't know how the maples fared in the drought, but Lost Maples State Park, southwest of San Antonio might be worth checking out.

For Austin cityscapes, the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue and the Pennybacker bridge are local icons.

Tags
cityscapes, landscape, nature, texas, wildlife