North American Nature Photography Association

Connecting The Nature Photography Community

Join NANPA!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
NANPA Member

Default Welcome to the Calibration and Testing Forum

Over the last few years there has been a big increase in equipment calibration and testing. Monitor calibration has been around for a number of years, but AF Fine Tuning and testing tools for lenses and cameras is relatively new.

There is an art to testing for specific issues. The appropriate tools and techniques for fine tuning a lens are different than for testing the camera and lens for AF accuracy. And field testing is another matter altogether.

The purpose of this forum is to create a venue for discussion of testing tools, methodology, and issues. Larry Jordan and Eric Bowles are moderators of this forum and bring to the table experience with testing and the associated issues. They hope to share some of their experience with testing and promote discussion.

We look forward to discussing your testing issues and experience as well as some of the tools available for testing.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Larry Jordan

Default Thanks Eric

Thanks for posting the intro Eric. I have been on a photo trek since the NANPA summit, and am just gettin back in the saddle.

Last year I did extensive AF fine tuning with FoCal and some with FocusTune. My plan is to do some new testing and calibration with the updated versions of both tools and report the results here.

I just downloaded version 1.8 of FoCal. Reikan has added extensive new capabilities and features since last fall. I am eager to see how much help the new features are in fine tuning my camera bodies and lens.

While at the NANPA summit, I purchased the CamRanger device. I am hoping that device will also help with testing of my cameras and lens combinations. I will be putting that system together this weekend with my iPad.

Larry Jordan
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM
NANPA Member

Default Hi from NANPA attendee

Just checking in. Larry told me about it.
I will monitor this forum but I am not sure I have a lot to offer.

Other than calibrating my big lenses for autofocus (and finding my Nikon 200-400 f/4 to be off), I do VERY little calibration.

Walt Custer
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Larry Jordan

Default Looks good to me

Walt, from the images you captured last week at Fort De Soto and the Chas River, I would say that you did a fine job of tuning that lens with your D4. Did you use LensAlign, a manual technique or one of the new software tools?

www.larryjordan.smugmug.com