Africa, what a place! I’ve been visited 17 times and last year I spent more days in Africa than I did in my apartment, and she never disappoints. If you are like me; you grew up watching Tarzan, loved the circus and the zoo, Marlin Perkins was a hero, Hatari was an incredible movie, and you dreamt of being in Africa. I can assure you that the real thing is even more amazing than you have imagined. I love this Kenya Safari! I’ve done this exact safari 4 times and can’t wait to share that with you! Once you experience a Kenya Safari, you will love it too! And of course, You Will Be Amazed!
I am so excited to be going back for a Kenya Safari in the “green” season. It is the most beautiful time of the year and the plains are a verdant green and not the browns of fall. We will visit the stunning Amboseli National Park, and if the “shy mountain” Kilimanjaro allows, we’ll see vast herds of elephants along with that iconic peak. From there we continue our safari and explore the fabulous Masai Mara National Park. We’ll be looking for the Big Five (elephant, rhino, leopard, lion, and buffalo) and everything in between. And that is just the highlights!
Kenya Safari Highlights
12 Nights and 13 Days
Two Private Safari Vehicles
Small Group – 6 Clients MAX
Masai Mara, and Amboseli Parks
This trip’s itinerary is very unique compared to commercial safaris. The location and time of year has been chosen and vetted by Tom in partnership with a US company and Safari specialists based in Arusha TZ. What we do different is use qualified drivers who have been trained by Tom to fulfill the high demands photographers expect. We will not be co-mingled with other tourists or placed on a clock that dictates when or where we need to be. From sun up to sun down we will be on the wildlife. The first 4 days of the trip we will be in the Ndutu area in a glamping tent community and the final 2 days in a lodge. Both scenarios are minutes away from the wildlife, offer amazing food, and all the comforts you’ve come to expect with Tripod Travelers. Our guides stay with us at all times and the level of service in these accommodations is outstanding.
An all day Safari is very demanding, we will have specific objectives during each day with breaks and lunch along the way. We will work with you while on Safari to ensure you capture the pictures you expect while offering photography instruction and support. At night after dinner or during down times, we will also work with you on your post processing techniques so you leave Africa with pro grade pictures.
This Safari has one of the largest diversity of animals in very accessible locations. In February 2019, we photographed Lions, Cheetah, Hyenas, Elephants, Hippos, Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest each day. We had to search, but our guide was able to locate a Leopard and two separate Caracals (both rare and tough to locate). With over 9,000 pictures captured, we can attest that you will not leave this trip disappointed.
** If you have a group of 4 or more, we will offer group discounts (perfect for camera clubs), we can also extend dates or choose another week (last week of January or 2nd week of February, 2020)
** NANPA members will receive $200 off this trip price, please email us at info@tripodtravelers, for the details, include your NANPA Member #
• Botswana is known for being the VERY best place in Africa for willdife photography and we’ll use only exclusive, private concessions that are free of crowds, allow off-road travel, and offer luxurious accommodations.
• Our concessions include “predator meccas” that offer unparalleled photo opportunities of lions, leopards, cheetahs, and wild dogs, as well as elephants, other classic game. We’ll also have close, intimate encounters with the most habituated meerkats in Africa, as well as the Kalahari bushmen they share their home with.
• While many photo tours avoid the best concessions to save on cost, we stay in the best camps to maximize our wildlife sightings. Many tours also avoid the best seasons, also to save on cost, whereas this tour is planned for the very best time of year for sightings.
• For all game drives on the tour, each participant will have an entire row to themselves for easy shooting from both sides of the vehicle and space to accommodate your gear – this is very rare for Botswana safaris.
• ALL flights are private charter flights for our group only, enabling us to bring more gear.
• Many Botswana photo tours are only 7 nights in duration, whereas our tour is 12 nights. This gives us enough time to experience the photo opportunities that each spectacular location has to offer.
• Although we have chosen locations based on wildlife viewing, these concessions also have some of the best accommodations in all of Africa. Our camps are small, elegant and luxurious.
• Travel as a small group and receive one-to-one instruction from professional wildlife photographer Suzi Eszterhas. Suzi has published over 100 magazine covers and feature stories and has vast experience photographing African wildlife (including 3 years living in a bushcamp).
Join us on an amazing Safari designed specifically for photographers in South Africa. We will be in a setting where your opportunity to photograph lions, leopards, elephants, rhino, and buffalo (Big 5) are amazingly accessible to our photographers. Giraffe, hippos, crocodiles, cheetah, and many other hoofed and clawed animals will be on show during this excursion. Our visit in May is during the Autumn season where we experience mild dry weather. There will be ample opportunities to capture the rich diversity of nature from our open top Safari vehicles to the back porch of your Rondavel. Our lodging is a unique private reserve with over 9,000 hectares or roughly 22,000 acres of vast African nature, about an hour drive west of Kruger National Park. The surreal camp is not fenced, which allows wildlife to roam and offers client’s unique possibilities to photograph from their deck. Whether you are an experienced or hobbyist photographer, this trip will afford you incredible opportunities to capture wildlife photographs of a lifetime. During this trip, Tom will be instructing you on both the technical and creative aspects of wildlife photography while at the resort and on Safari. He will spend time supporting you and your attempts to capture amazing pictures, regardless of subject and setting.
What is Included?
-In-Country round trip airfare Johannesburg to Hoedspruit
-Overnight Stay at Hotel D’Oreale Grande, in Johannesburg, welcome reception and breakfast.
-Transfer to Private Game Reserve
-7 Nights, 8 Days
-8 total game drives, plus a photo shoot at Blyde River Canon.
-Breakfast and Dinner Included, Lunch is on your own at restaurant on site.
-Lodging in a South African Rondavel (bungalow), including 2 natural spring pools, bar and restaurant.
-Dedicated Photography Instruction, including post processing and critique.
-No Single Supplement Charges!
-Non-Photography Spouses/Travelers welcome, $250 discount.
-All Game Drives designed and managed by Tripod Travelers, meaning only our photographers in the vehicle, only 6 photographers per safari!
-Flight to Johannesburg, South Africa
-Tips for Safari Drivers or Staff
-Travel Insurance or Medical Assistance Insurance
Our 14th KENYA PHOTOGRAPHY EXPEDITION is among the best locations to photograph wildlife in the world. If you’ve never visited this magical country, be prepared for incredible wildlife and cultural experiences. From the monkeys trying to get into your tent to the lion prides of the Mara, YOU WILL ENJOY! The photography opportunities are endless and your stories will be shared for many years to come.
We’ll fly between lodges, and this year we’ve also added two extra nights on safari (2 nights in Nairobi and 12 nights at the lodges) along with a private encounter at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust elephant orphanage. Only 3-4 guests max per safari vehicle! Kenya will not get better than it is now—join us!