Learn the basics of photography and start yourself down the path toward great photographs.
1. Learn how your camera “sees” and how you can use this knowledge to improve your images.
2. Learn what all those dials do and which ones “really matter”.
3. Learn fundamentals of aperture, shutter speed and depth of field.
4. Learn fundamentals of composition.
5. Learn what camera and lenses are best for you.
6. Learn to develop your eye.
7. Learn how to get the best exposure in every situation.
8. Learn how to recognize beautiful light.
Summer is here, and a great time to get out and photograph. As you are capturing all that summer has to offer, I want to remind you of the impact that fundamental design principles can have on your photography.
Are you photographing a mountain or beach? Where you place your horizon line can help you to create depth and dimension in your photo and also help call attention to the hero in your photograph. Consider referencing design tools like the Golden Ratio, Rule of Thirds or the Fibonacci Spiral when setting up your composition.